The Senior Quality Assurance Engineer is responsible for performing daily analysis and execution of test efforts, working collaboratively with team members across disciplines, and leading test teams on projects. Test efforts may be performed across a variety of project types including websites, mobile applications, and immersive experiences. Typically a Senior QA Engineer at Code and Theory can expect to work in collaboration with and in parallel to Development/Production teams throughout the lifecycle of a project, leading the testing efforts, and providing proactive risk assessment.
Our testers come from a variety of backgrounds and interests, but we share a few common values that really make our work stand out. You’ll fit right in if you…
- Have a genuine interest in working with bleeding-edge, boundary-pushing technologies and apps
- Are a quality advocate and firmly believe that QA testing isn’t simply something done at the end of a project
- Possess an innate ability and drive to uncover defects, with an analytical, curious, and meticulous personality
- Enjoy working in a dynamic collaborative environment where you can make an impact
In your first few months, you can expect to:
- Develop test strategies custom for a project's platform and need, including manual and specialization capacities.
- Test and validate data for front-end and back-end systems.
- Analyze, identify, and monitor software defects, and report testing results in detail using bug tracking tools
- Proactively work with project teams to create and implement delivery processes throughout deployments
- Work closely with other Engineers and Producers to help create an environment in which quality can occur
- Lead testing teams of 1 - 4 QA Engineers on parallel projects
- Participate in training and mentoring other members of the QA team
In your first year, you will:
- Develop and maintain comprehensive test plans and requirement matrices
- Encourage and maintain standards and process for workflow efficiency
- Build comfort with pivoting test capabilities into bespoke application and creative technology builds
- Proactively contribute to the QA department's overall vision via research, presentation, and implementation of best practices and cutting edge toolsets
- Go beyond the baseline expectation and work to provide valuable insight to developers and stakeholders
- Work to provide granular, neutral, and valuable critique for developers to improve their craft
To succeed in this role you should have:
- Mastery in manual exploratory testing of progressively more complex web development projects (including mobile/tablet)
- Mastery in documenting and managing defects in specialized software (preference is Atlassian/JIRA)
- Able to clearly and confidently document, report, and present test results to internal teams, external partners, and client stakeholders
- Exposure and/or experience to test in multiple specializations: accessibility, automation, data and analytics, load and performance, security, creative technology, or native mobile apps.
- Hands on experience with test driven development, whether in a supportive role with development or directly in control of test production
- Proficiency with manipulating and testing CMS systems (preferably Wordpress, Drupal, Adobe AEM, and/or Sitecore), as well as design and framing toolsets in an inspection capacity (Invision, Zeplin)
- Experience with leading requirements gathering, management, and compilation into valuable testable scenarios
- Experience with creation and documentation of software development test delivery strategies
- Agency, development shop, or startup testing experience
QA Engineer applicants must have clear visual acuity (can see at 20/20 vision, with corrective lenses if necessary), not be color-blind, not have photosensitive seizure sensitivity, and be able to sustain focus for long periods of time. QA Engineers will also be expected to use a computer for the majority of the day. Working conditions are generally in-office and at a desk, however there may be some travel and physical activity involved.